2020: the year of perfect vision. We all start each year with the hope of crushing our newly set goals whether physical through health and wellness, mental with personal lifestyle choices, or whatever it is you set out to accomplish. Little did we know that the 2020 vision would be rocked by the coronavirus, halting all progress made in the first couple months. Motivation was there to stay in the gym + get outside and move, healthy eating was getting easier, social interactions were thriving in public and at work. . .but not for long. So now what?! Here are 5 daily habits you can add back into your life to reclaim those goals set at the beginning of the year. You have less than 3 months/1 quarter left of 2020, it is time to be a healthier version of yourself!
- With many being forced to work from home, this led to an increase of sitting with poor support. When we sit for long periods, our body adapts to those changes by decreasing muscle strength, limiting healthy joint (spine and extremity) motion, reducing fluid (blood, lymph, water, etc.) circulation, and the list goes on. Our body craves frequent movement/position changes! So, get up frequently, every 1-2 hours, and move!
- Be honest with yourself and evaluate how much water you are drinking. If it is at least half of your body weight (in ounces), then you are good! If not, get after it! For example, if you weigh 120 pounds, drink at least 60 ounces of water daily! Body temperature regulation, toxin removal, and joint protection, to name a few, are reasons why drinking water is crucial. And PLEASE quit drinking those sugary sports drinks, they do not have the number of electrolytes you think they do.
- Vegetables are some of the most important, forgotten, and unliked foods to consume. Vegetables are highly recommended, at least 2 cups daily, because they contain so many natural forms of vitamins and minerals we need for bodily functions: immune system boost, nervous system aid, energy production, etc. Your plate should be colorful!
- 30 minutes or more of daily exercise. Straining, or working all our tissues is crucial for muscle development, disease-risk reduction, improved sleep, mental health, and the list goes on. So, bend the knees, move the arms, and get the blood flowing. The #COVID-19 no longer stands a chance and is done consuming your life + your increasing gut.
- Reward your hard day’s work with at least 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Sleep is crucial for blood vessel repair, stress reduction, hormone production/balance, inflammation decrease, and the list seriously could go on for pages! A book I highly recommend is Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker, PhD.
Take these steps now to reclaim your life and get your health and wellness back on track to mount that 4th quarter comeback and finish the year with a win. You deserve and can do this! And heck, if you experience any more or new injuries along the way, I have got your back. I am your health and wellness advocate, aka chiropractor, at InMotion Spine & Joint Center here in Spring Hill!
Bio: I am Dr. Tony Krohn, a chiropractor for In Motion Spine & Joint Center in Spring Hill. Through adjustments, hands on therapy, and in office + take home exercises, I’m able to influence patients’ movements, both young and old, to get them out of pain and improve their quality of life. It is my goal to help all my patients reach their health and wellness goals and teach them to trust that their body was made to move well and move often.